An Alaska Classic
Traditional best seller
In print continuously for more than 30 years.
Now available in softcover or eBook PDF
by Steve J. Langdon
The Native People of Alaska is a comprehensive, easy-to-read introductory guide to Alaska’s first inhabitants. Langdon describes their lifestyles, traditions and culture at the time of first contact with Europeans. It is the only book in its price range that tells how ALL of Alaska’s Native people survived in one of the most challenging environments on earth for more than 200 generations, long before modern technology.
Named as one of the best Alaska history books of all time by the Alaska Historical Society.
“Every Alaskan should read this book. It is good for students, for new Alaskans, and for the old timer who wants to know more…”
former Alaska Commissioner of Education
- traditional housing
- social systems
- beliefs and more
- Where in Alaska can you find mummies?
- How could Aleut hunters capture whales-while staying home sick in bed?
- Why were totem poles built?
- Who settled fights with a duel–of singing?
- Why would an Inupiat woman offer a drink of water to a dead whale?
About the author:
Long-time Alaska resident Steve J. Langdon has actively researched Alaska Natives for more than 35 years including substantial research on subsistence practices of Alaska Natives, fisheries policies and their impacts on Alaska Natives, and on a variety of topics on ethnohistoric and contemporary social and cultural dimensions of Alaska Native life. He is a professor Professor Emeritus of anthropology at the University of Alaska Anchorage and has authored numerous professional papers on various aspects of Native life in Alaska. In addition, Langdon served as a consultant to various national and state organizations as well as the National Academy of Science.
- 5th Edition
- Softcover, 6 x 9 inches, perfect bound
- 176 pages, 60 photos, 7 maps, 26 illustrations, bibliography, index.
- Includes a guide to cultural centers, museums and websites.
- ISBN 978-1-940381-00-8
Please contact us for wholesale orders.